Here we are, knee-deep in bathing suit season. Some find this a more difficult time of year than others. Here are a few tips to take some of the pain out of finding that right swimsuit for you.
- Top it off right. Small-chested? Aim for a padded bandeau or any underwire design with gathering, ruffles, or padding. Very large-chested? Try thick straps, a dark and supportive fabric, and underwire. Your belly always looks slimmer when the chest is boosted up and out! (Very few women call pull off the totally unsupportive 80’s tank suit. Kudos to you if you can.)
- Get waisted. Thick in the mid-section or have an athletic shape? Use strategic folds (ruching), wraps, belts, and even printed designs to create the appearance of a waist. Many of the higher-waist designs this summer are great for masking a postpartum-pooch.
- Aim high. The higher-cut, the longer the appearance of the leg. On the other hand, low, boy-short designs shorten legs and look best on tall, long legged ladies.
- Colorblock. Using colors and prints strategically on a one or two-piece can surely boost the flattery factor. Solid, dark colors help to play down and minimize problem areas, while printed, detailed or bright areas help draw attention.
- Try, try, and try again. Take the time to find the right suit for you. Order a size lower and a size higher and expect to return. Take a huge pile into the dressing room. Sometimes a slight difference in design or size can make all the difference in the world.
Here are some of my favorite one-pieces and bikinis available this season! The variety of styles will appeal to many different body shapes. Details, as always, are linked under the collages.
- The Mykonos Ribbed One piece, Andies Swim
- Santorini Swimsuit, Boden
- One-Piece Leopard Tank Suit, Profile by Gottex
- The Deep Dive Suit, Summersalt
- Belted Underwire One-Piece, WhoWoreWhat at Victoria’s Secret
- Floral Dots Tie One-Piece, Kate Spade Swim
- The Taylor One Piece with White Trim, Solid and Striped
- Off the Shoulder Amazonian One Piece. Trina Turk at Everything But Water
- Pearl Loop Strap Underwire Bikini, Tommy Bahama
- Mosaic Sunrise Bikini, Trina Turk at Everything But Water
- Striped Underwire Bikini, Lascana
- Betty Cassidy Gingham Front Tie Bikini, Eberjey at Bloomingdales
- U-Front Bandeau Bikini in Jungle Floral, J.Crew
- Ginger Bikini, Solid and Striped at Madewell
- Lagoon Sarong Hipster, Lilly Pulitzer
- Enhancer Push Up Triangle Bikini, Venus
Although these tips and picks are just a starting point, there is no magic to finding that perfect suit. If you love it and feel great in it (or maybe not AS terrible), that is really all that matters.