Two weeks ago, I challenged myself to come up with a tagline for The Style File. It didn’t take long:
This has been my philosophy for decades. Yes, I’m guilty of spending on the occasional luxury item, but it’s always something I LOVE and never just for the logo. At the same time, the majority of my wardrobe is made up of lower cost brands, from Target to H&M and everything in between.
I thought I’d share my “Top 15 Tips” for creating your most wearable wardrobe, with a few links to some items mentioned. These are mantras that I have personally lived by for many years now.
- Buy jeans slightly smaller than your size. They will stretch to a perfect fit.
- Keep your classic pieces updated by incorporating inexpensive trends that compliment your body shape and lifestyle.
- Great fits need great tailors. Whether it’s nipping the waist of that sheath dress or hemming your pants to a certain shoe, a small tweak makes a HUGE difference.
- Dress for your shape. Choose the right pieces to downplay your most “challenging” areas. Show off what you’re proud of, but keep it classy!
- The best way to hide belly bulge is with the right bra. Don’t be afraid to wear a padded bra. This helps prevent your pieces from “clinging” to your midsection.
- Everyone needs a collared white button-down. Whether it’s tucked, untucked, tied in front, collared up, sleeves rolled…. you ALWAYS look put together in a crisp, white shirt.
- If you know a silhouette works with your body shape, stick with it! You can always find a way to keep the outfit current by changing out the pieces or accessories around it.
- The single most (bare) leg-flattering shoe is a nude pump. Not a heel kind of gal? Opt for a basic nude flat with a little bit of point for your longest leg.
- Classic and edgy balance each other beautifully. Wearing a skin-tight leather skirt? Choose a feminine, modest top. Outfit feeling a bit stuffy and boring? Throw some leopard or snakeskin into the mix.
- Choose one amazingly bold accessory and keep everything else minimal. Let that item steal the show!
- Structured layers like blazers and more casual jackets (like cargo/safari designs) instantly “polish up” a simple pair of jeans.
- “Curvy” in the thigh area? Pencil jeans can be tough to wear. Choose straight, flared or wider leg jeans for your most flattering fit.
- Who is on your “best dressed” list? Be sure to follow them on Instagram or Pinterest, save your favorite looks, and steal shamelessly! I do it ALL the time (and FYI, my current obsession is Victoria Beckham)!
- Solid, light-colored tees and performance fabrics always show more bulges than their dark-colored counterparts. Stick with navy, black or small dark prints to help conceal those problem areas.
- It’s better to have a few outfits that ALWAYS look fabulous on you, versus an expansive wardrobe with lots of “so-so” looks.
Hopefully these golden nuggets help you to create YOUR best wardrobe! And remember… whether it’s Forever 21 or Ferragamo, it’s all about HOW your wear it.