And so we enter these tough months in upstate NY. The months that stretch the thermometer into the single digits. The days that feel so short. The weekends that you pray for the snow to ski, but not for “foot-warmer” lows. The cough drops, humidifiers, endless supply of tissues… winter is tough around here.
To make matters worse, it’s not all that much fun getting dressed this time of year. My style attitude, come January, shifts from wanting to “look great” during the holiday season, to wanting to “look acceptable but be warm and comfortable.” SO sad, but so true. (Notice many fewer outfits shared on my IG feed… now you know why!) I thought I’d share some of my winter essentials. In other words, the “stuff” that makes MY winter months slightly more pleasant. As always, a description and direct links to items are under photo.
- PERFECT WINTER HAT, like this customizable cutie from Ralph Lauren. How fun! Choose your stripes, letters, and pom-pom! I LIVE in hats during the winter months to avoid having to do my hair as much as possible, and need to order one of these!
- WINTER LAYERING CAPE, like this wool cape by & Other Stories. I love wearing blazers and furry vests during the winter months, and it’s often tough to fit a coat over all those layers!
- LIGHT MATTE BRONZER, like my ALL-time fave, the Two Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer. When my pale winter skin becomes transparent mid-season, I always appreciate a little “sun” on my face.
- WINTER BOOTS with warmth, traction AND style! I live in Sorels, but I LOVE my Bean Boots (as discussed in my very first style post!). These shearling-lined 16″ Bean Boots are on my winter wish list!
- GREAT WINTER PARKA, like this white The North Face Arctic Down II Parka (Backcountry).com. A warm coat is essential in the Northeast, and some definition in the waist always will prevent you from looking like an oompa loompa.
- SMALL VERSATILE CROSSBODY, like this super cute SeeByChloe Camera bag. When it’s this icy, I want my hands free when running around town with the boys. When out with the baby or traveling, I usually use a tote for my larger items but keep my personal essentials “on me” in a small crossbody.
- INSPIRING BOOK, like my most recent read, The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein. Gabby’s books are great for overcoming fears and ego, and living your best life through prayer and reflection. I enjoy using these slow, quiet winter months for self-reflection and improvement.
- OVERSIZED SWEATER, like this super cozy cable knit from H&M. I often go one size up, look in the men’s department, or order the tall for some additional coverage.
- SKINNY JEANS WITH STRETCH AND SUPPORT, like these GAP Super High Rise True Skinny Jeans with smoothing pockets. I always choose a flattering dark wash that tuck neatly into boots, and I love how these high-waisted jeans hold me in and don’t stretch out after only one wear.
- WINTERIZED BOOTIE, like this Blondo bootie from Nordstrom. One step up from the casual winter boot, with a small heel, textured sole and waterproof upper to get you through the slushy puddles of upstate NY.
- LIGHTWEIGHT FACIAL OIL, like the No.1 Brightening Facial Oil from BEAUTYCOUNTER. I’m OBSESSED with how my skin has stayed moisturized during this frigid ski season, and the clean, citrus scent brings the spa to YOU!
- LONG LAYERING TUNIC, like this textured one from Anthropologie. Worn over a tissue turtleneck or under a chunky sweater or blazer, this piece can make or break my (emotional) comfort in leggings or skinny jeans.
- COZY PJ’S, like this classic cotton set from J.Crew Factory. I can get SO warm when the heat cranks on, and sometimes flannel plus my down comforter is overkill.
Hopefully something I mentioned will make YOUR winter a bit more tolerable. As my girlfriend pointed out last week at dinner: “Look on the bright side. It’s not bathing suit season… it’s sweater season! So let’s order the duck fat fries.”
Let’s live in the sweater weather moment, while we have it.