Leave it up to Coco Chanel. In the 1920s, she took a look, traditionally linked to servants or people in mourning, and made it a fashion staple for decades to come. The LITTLE BLACK DRESS. We all have one that’s been hanging in our closets for years. The one that we turn to when we get a last-minute invitation. Or when the dress that arrived for the wedding just isn’t cutting it. Or the one we grab when we’ve gained a few extra winter pounds. The best part of all? That same dress can be styled SO many different ways.
This week, the Junior League of Albany launched their Little Black Dress Initiative. The LBDI was first launched in 2014 by the Junior League of London during London Fashion Week. Members of our local League have committed to wearing the same black dress for five consecutive days to raise awareness of poverty levels in Albany and New York State. Details about the program, local poverty levels, and how to donate can be found here.
In honor of our lovely ladies who are participating in this fashion-focused fundraiser, I thought I’d share five ways to style the same little black dress (link to the super versatile dress shown above). Maybe you’ll be inspired to pull out your “go-to” LBD… and wear it very differently than before.
- ZARA Embroidered Collar Blazer
- Chanel Classic Caviar Black Wallet from Lola Saratoga
- Cole Haan “Tali” Ballet Bow Flat
- Ted Baker Glitter Bow Clutch
- Schutz Cady-Lee Shoe in Metallic and Rose Gold
- Givenchy Pearl and Crystal Chandelier Earrings
- H&M Moto Jacket
- Eye Buy Direct Ivory Tortoise “Havana” Sunnies
- Adidas Stan Smith Original in Colored Graffiti
- Henri Bendel Jet-Setter Mini Convertible Backpack
- ZARA Long Blazer in Nude Pink
- Everlane Day Market Tote in Pale Blush
- Schutz Caiolea Pump in Nude Suede
- Tory Burch Crystal Pearl Earrings in Ivory and Gold
- H&M Cotton Cargo Jacket
- Elise M. Woodland Stitched Leather and Elastic Belt
- “Laurel” Peeptoe Bootie by Kristen Cavallari
- Leather and Hemp Boho Bracelet by BohoHippieShop
Go ahead… try something you’ve never tried before. I dare you.
8 Replies to “The Little Black Dress, Five Ways”
Great ideas! I love how one dress can be chic and stylish in the boardroom and with a few changes be a totally different look for the weekend or a casual Friday!
Thanks Barbara! Yes, this one in particular is a great “blank canvas”…
Thanks for posting! So many ways to fit any mood!
allison love your blog. I’m a fan. I want to hire you as my stylist for saratoga functions. Lets get together. Janet Franco
I’m so glad you’re enjoying Janet! Although I haven’t gone back to being a personal stylist, I’ll meet you anytime, or feel free to run anything by me for an opinion!😉
As always Allison I enjoy your blog and talent. I’d love to see a similar black dress a tad more forgiving for the unforgiving parts as we age! Great job.
Thanks Suzanne for the feedback! I promised that I’d link a variety of LBDs… stay tuned!